By Gina Shively
3 Ingredient Keto Paleo(ish) Vanilla Almond Macaroons
Uses For Egg Whites:
If you are like me, you could eat almost anything smothered in hollandaise sauce (a recipe for Hollandaise sauce can be found in the Wild Kitchen Cookbook Vol 2). But then the problem arises, what do you do with egg whites?! Honestly, I used to just give them to my dog, because the thought of an egg white omelet makes me want to cry. But now I have a use for them!
Guilt Free Snaking
3 Ingredient Keto Paleo(ish) Macaroons! Yes, I actually found a good use for egg whites, as hard to believe as that is. Plus, these delicious little treats are a great source of healthy fat, fiber, and protein. The Wilderness Athlete Paleo(ish) Beef Protein Vanilla Almond adds flavor and sweetness with practically no carbs. The Paleo(ish) Beef Protein also adds some grass-fed protein to each little bite.
Coconut is a great source of healthy fat, and the fiber it contains keeps the net carbs down.
I also love using coconut in Triple Cocoa Coconut Fat Bombs, but these macaroons are much softer and have a slightly chewy texture. They are a nice little guilt-free snack or treat. And with only 3 ingredients, no one ever counts salt, they couldn’t be easier to make!
4 Egg Whites
⅛ teaspoon salt (optional)
2 ½ cup Unsweetened coconut flakes
This one is relatively easy to pull off in the backcountry, not much different than cooking a House meal really. I do bring chopsticks for this dish, they are light and they make the experience that much better.
- Preheat oven to 375℉
- In a blender add egg whites, protein powder, and salt
- Blend on low for 15-20 seconds, until the mixture increases in volume, becomes opaque and lighter in color.
- In a medium-sized bowl, use a spatula to fold together coconut and egg mixture.
- With a scoop, spoons, or ⅛ cup measuring cup portion out about 2 tablespoons and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until the macarons start turning golden.
- Enjoy warm, or store in the fridge up to 5 days.