As people who love to get outdoors, we should all be familiar with the importance of vitamin D and how it functions in our body. Judging by the increasing rate of individuals who are now recognized as being vitamin D deficient in this country, it’s crucial we become educated on its impact on our basic physiological needs and increase our intake of this essential vitamin.
IMPORTANCE OF VITAMIN D
- Regulate and support the immune system*
- Maintain healthy body weight
- Maintaining brain function as you age*
- Regulate absorption of calcium & phosphorous*
- Reduce the risk of developing multiple sclerosis*
- Regulate Mood*
WHAT IS VITAMIN D AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
- Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that comes in two forms, vitamin D2, (from plant sources), and the far more active and beneficial form, vitamin D3, which is made in the skin or gotten from animal sources.*
This vitamin has a monumental host of responsibilities that can affect many developmental processes and important functions in the body such as healthy immune system function and the regulation and absorption of calcium and phosphorous.
Research suggests that it plays a vital role in fighting everything from cardiovascular disease to the common flu, and is even involved in regulating mood and boosting weight loss. While sunlight is our most abundant source of vitamin D, it is not our only means of obtaining adequate concentrations of it. Fatty fish like salmon are good sources of vitamin D, as well as fortified foods like milk and orange juice. Supplementation of vitamin D has proven to be a very convenient, affordable, and consistent way to intake the right amount without needing to consume the additional sugars that typically come with fortified foods.
THREAT OF DEFICIENCY
- Skeletal Diseases*
- Chronic Inflammation*
- Metabolic Disorders*
- Cardiovascular disease*
- Cognitive Disorders*
- Lack of Energy*
- Aches & Pains*
HOW DID WE GET HERE?
- A lifestyle that keeps us exceedingly indoors and covered with sunscreen during the time we do spend under the sun is a huge hindrance to our most readily available source of vitamin D.*
As with many things, modern comforts and products of today’s society contribute to our lack of sufficient vitamin D. Environmental factors like pollution and large cities where direct sun is blocked out by buildings are also contributing factors to this deficiency.
To meet this vital demand of our body, Wilderness Athlete ensures that an ideal concentration of pharmaceutical grade vitamin-D is present in several of our products. While the quantity of vitamin-D varies, Brute Strength, Meal Replacement & Recovery Shake, and our High-Performance Multi-Vitamin are all great sources of vitamin-D that will support the roughly 2,000 metabolic interactions in our body.